Friday 15 June 2007

Ultimate Aerial Obstacle Course


Okay, maybe "ultimate" is a bit strong, but still...it's in the brochure! (In the picture, you can see a girl inching her way along the wire, which is suspended about 10 or 12 meters off the floor. Below is the go karting area.)

Tonight we had a team outing at an activity centre in Oranmore, just outside Galway. We bowled for an hour and had some snacks, then we went upstairs and chose from activities like go karting, wall climbing, pool/snooker, or the air park. I looked at all the activities and the only one that scared me was the air park, a kind of high-wire challenge.

It involves being fitted with a safety harness and helmet and walking along steel wires with various ropes to hang onto. As you get to each platform, the next rope crossing is a little harder. There is one that's like a suspension bridge, just a thin wire with ropes on either side than fan out narrow at the bottom and wider at the top. Of course, the whole thing is fine because of the safety harness, but it was still scary as hell. Keith, my safety guide, actually whizzed out on the wire when I was on the second round because he thought I was too scared to move. I WAS scared, but I was really just taking my time and trying not to lose my balance, even though I couldn't fall even if I did.

Every time I made it to the next platform, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I'd walk a couple of steps, see what I had to do next, and go "oh shit!". Then I'd take a deep breath or two (and exhale) and step out onto the next wire.

The last crossing is a 4-inch wide steel girder that moves a bit and there's no ropes or anything. I was trembling slightly when I finished the circuit, but I was pleased with myself for having taken the challenge.

When's the last time you challenged yourself? Something to think about.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Um ya, so like I would NEVER do that. Not big on the whole lets invoke feelings of fear thing. I like feeling safe and sound.

Kimmy said...

i stumbled upon your blog through an expat searching sight and I am interested in moving to Galway. I read through your different blogs and it sounds like you moved there on your savings and then got a job. Any leads on any jobs out there? Please email me if you feel up to questions!
Thanks-Kimmy

A. Colleen Jones said...

Hi Kimmy, I tried sending you an email but it didn't work. If you are looking for work in Ireland, you need either a work permit or citizenship. I have dual, so that's how come I could just move here and work. Try www.irishjobs.ie or monsterjobs.ie for starters. I don't know your work experience so I can't be more specific than that. There are a couple of temp/placement agencies in Galway as well. Oh yeah, and some folks like craigslist, but while it's good for research, I would be wary of any jobs advertised on it. Most employers don't go to sites like that. Also, look for companies you like and see if they have an office in Galway. There are a number of medical research and software companies here, so those are good areas to try. Lots of call centre work if you speak another language but some demand for English call centre people as well. Good luck!

KatBouska said...

Just passing by...I can think of a hundred things I would rather do than that...starting with picking a small child's head clean of lice. Kudos to you though!! :)

A. Colleen Jones said...

Thanks Kathy! I think I'd rather walk the aerial obstacle course than pick lice off a kid's head! Only a mom could do that without getting totally grossed out!