Monday 4 June 2007

It's All Greek to Me


Xasteropoulos, yup, that is the correct spelling of my birth mother's maiden name (she was Acadian and Greek in heritage). (Pronounced something like "ix zast er op o loss") This is what it looks like in Greek: Ξαστεροπουλοτ. My ancestors probably came from the Peloponnese area in southwest Greece on the mainland; think Sparta, for one. So not a Cretan, in the end, but the geneology hunt is progressing.

I just came back from a week's holiday in Crete. What a fantastic place! There were parts that reminded me of Maui with the coast and mountains cheek by jowl, and parts that could have passed for British Columbian forests, particularly around Georgioupoli and the greener hills around Almyrida with the mountains in the distance. I think my favourite day was going up to the Askifou Plateau on the edge of the White Mountains (Lefka Ori). There are 4 villages in the plateau, 3 on the sides of the mountains and one on a hill, literally, the entire hill is a hodgepodge of houses built up like an anthill. There is a ruined fortress at the top of the only other and highest hill on the plateau (Diana, you would love it). The rest of the plateau is given over to crops and grazing land for sheeps, goats, and horses, and various chickens and barking dogs. The Cretan horses are smaller than average and have the unique gait of all mountain horses like the Icelandic ponies. I couldn't quite get the rhythm of it, so I got bounced around quite a bit, but it was worth it for the amazing trek up the side of the ridge (700 m) to the view from the top. There is an old stone chapel there. I stopped with my guide for a rest (the horses were sweating pretty heavily) before we rode back down. Had an awesome lunch of local produce of stewed lamb, fresh green beans, potatoes, home made chips, then fresh pears and apples for dessert. Mmmmm!

I will have photos soon. Picking up my 6 rolls of pictures tomorrow! Only 6. I managed to restrain myself. However, there is a definite excess of flower shots. And cute half-wild scrawny cats.

No comments: